Sadly, not al marriages are successful.

At Michael Leighton Jones Solicitors we appreciate that separating and obtaining a divorce can be a difficult time. Our Solicitors have many years experience in helping both husbands and wives in divorce, separation and nullity.

We at Michael Leighton Jones Solicitors believe that no time is wasted time. We take the time to consider how a divorce is going to affect you by taking into account all the circumstances. This allows us to provide you with the best advice and course of action.

The information given below is general and will hopefully answer some of your questions regarding the divorce process.

Please feel free to book a no obligation free consultation to discuss your needs.

Tel: 01443 830 228

Email: info@michaelleightonjones.com

The Divorce Process Explained:

In order to obtain a divorce you need to show that the marriage has “irretrievably broken down”. There are various ways to do this and we will be able to fully advise you of your options.

If you decide to start proceedings we will prepare a divorce petition to be sent to the court. The petition is completed and filed by the person seeking the divorce (the “Petitioner”). If you have children you will also need to tell the Court what arrangements have been made for the care of the children. The Court will then send the papers to the person being divorced, (the “Respondent”).

The Court will also send a form asking the Respondent to confirm that they have received the divorce papers and to state whether or not they wish to defend, i.e. oppose the petition. If the respondent does not return this form to the court it may be necessary to arrange to have the petition personally served on him/her. Unless the divorce is based on a ground that requires the Respondent’s consent it is possible for a divorce to be obtained without the Respondent returning the court form provided the judge is satisfied that the Respondent is aware of the proceedings.

The next step is for the Petitioner to send to the court an application for a declaration that he/she is entitled to a divorce (a decree nisi). There is normally no need for anybody to attend Court on the day the decree nisi is pronounced. Remember, your decree nisi is not the final decree of divorce. For your marriage to finally end a decree absolute must be applied for. This can be done by the Petitioner six weeks after the date of the decree nisi or by the Respondent after a further three months has passed.

Remember our first consultation is free to all.

Contact Sarah Price.
Bargoed tel: 01443 830228.
Email: sarahp@michaelleightonjones.com 

About Cookies On This Site
We use cookies to personalize and enhance your experience on our site and improve the delivery of ads to you. Visit our Cookie Policy to learn more. By clicking accept", you agree to our use of cookies.